Lavoisier is having none of your shit.
Heeeey so fun fact: the woman in that painting is Lavoisier’s wife, Marie-Anne Pierrette Paulze, who not only acted as Lavoisier’s lab assistant but also translated English and Latin texts into French so he could read them. But she didn’t just translate, she pointed out errors in the chemistry in some of the texts. Her observations of these errors convinced Lavoisier to study combustion, which led to his discovery of oxygen. She was also critical to the publication of Lavoisier’s Elementary Treatise on Chemistry in 1789. She kept strict records of every experiment they conducted together and drew detailed diagrams of all their equipment. She also threw amazing parties and invited all the brightest minds in science so her husband could pick their brains. After Lavoisier was guillotined she secured all of his notebooks and equipment for posterity.
In short: NOBODY KICKS MADAME LAVOISIER OUT OF THE LAB.
Also, a side note: My historian husband-to-be pointed some things out to me about this painting. Notice that Madame Lavoisier is looking at the viewer, and all the light is on her, while Lavoisier himself is physically smaller than her, in shadow, and looking up to her in reverence. This isn’t a candid photograph- all of these choices are deliberate. The painting isn’t of Lavoisier- Madame Lavoisier is meant to be the central subject.
I can just imagine Lavoisier telling all his colleagues that his wife is really the one with all the clever ideas, and them patting him on the back and telling him he’s sweet for saying so.
I LOVE IT
every time i fall asleep my brother steals my laptop and somehow logs on and takes pictures on my webcam.
Give that kid a medal.
This is probably the best thing I’ve seen on here so far
Straight as his rainbow slinky.
Things I want to see in book 4:
Meeting Zuko’s daughter
Korra to be ok
Iroh and Zuko meet in the spirt world
Iroh 2 and Zuko talk!! ( dante talking with his older self would be awesome!!)
Katara fighting!!!! I need to see her be a badass!!! ( the best water bender…
In the end Belle just brought out a mirror and Gaston managed to distract himself for like a week
Some of these short films are suspenseful. Others are humorous and some have psychological twists. Hope you guys enjoy!
- RED BALLOON: A little girl Dorothy is having trouble sleeping. She wakes up frequently. Her babysitter, Julie, tells her it’s nothing to be worried about it. Or is it?
- THE LAST TEN: A nameless man arrives home one evening. He begins to walk up the stairwell to his apartment unaware of the impending disaster that awaits him at the top. He has ten minutes left to live. His wife has even less.
- CUT: A barber at a shop is alone in the middle of the night, when he begins to hear creaks and unexpected noises
- DOPPELGANGER: A woman gets receives a frantic call from her husband. He urgently tells her not to go home, and not to believe what she sees when she gets there.
- MAMA: This is the 3 minute short film that inspired the full length movie Mama
- HE DIES AT THE END: A man begins to receive strange requests from his computer. WARNING: JUMPSCARE
- SUCKABLOOD: Suckablood” is a monster who punishes thumb-sucking children. When he is tricked one night by a little girl he decides to teach her a lesson she’ll never forget.
- THE FACTS IN THE CASE OF MISTER HOLLOW: A short horror film that takes a different approach. It will leave you with more questions than answers.
- BEHING CLOSED DOORS: Troubled by his conflicting parents and haunted by the monster that dwells in his bedroom closet - Gregory must confront his demons and defeat the true evil that exists behind closed doors. WARNING: CHILD, DOMESTIC ABUSE
- BEDFELLOWS: A woman wakes up in the middle of the night because of a phone call. The person sleeping next to her is not who she wants him to be.